Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Birthday Treat and One For me

So as you have been told and some of you have seen I am TERRIBLE at taking pictures of my projects. I am really trying to get better...I am. And just when I think I have done well with one project....I forget to take photos on the very next one!! I had seen a project here.... and I just had to try it. Perfect case of forgetting to photograph the entire project.....I had these gorgeous frames......
And of course I used some lovely, magical spray paint on them.

Then I ordered some magnetic sheet metal from Quick Ship Metals. They were very helpful and they had very fast shipping. I did try to get Home Depot to cut some for me....they told me no. Oh well. I guess they weren't really on my Christmas card list anyway. Then I took some beautiful scrapbook paper from my stash and rounded up the Mod Podge and some ribbon. I spray painted some clothes pins too.
I took the Mod Podge and attached the scrapbook paper to the metal and let it dry. Then I put some ribbon over the seams. Watch this very closely as it dries. The ribbon on mine slid a little before it was dry all the way and will now drive me crazy for eternity. I glued the paper covered metal into the frame. Then I Mod Podged some strips of paper to the top of the clothes pins and glued (with Liquid Nails) a strip of magnet to the back of the clothes pin. ((Side note...if I make another one of these I will look for {and find} some super strong magnets)) Here is one of the finished message boards. I neglected to get a photo of the other one before I gave it to my sweet friend Renae. But it turned out pretty good.
I am linking to Metamorphosis Monday over at Between Naps on the Porch. You should head on over there to check out the fabulous projects and decorating ideas.
My sweet friend Renae sent me a picture of the project board I made for her....here it is........


18 comments:

Lori said...

What a great idea!! I love it!

I guess you are not on Home Depot's Chritmas list!!LOL

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Lori!

Isn't that a clever idea! I love what you did, and I would have never thought to use scapbook paper over the metal piece for a magnet board. Very creative, fun, and pratical, too! I like this idea a lot.

Happy Met Monday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Kammy said...

Great job - I love the clothes pins !
Kammy

Unknown said...

very cute and creative! ;)

Rebekah@Red's Nest said...

Cute idea and great metamorphosis. I just love everyone's creative ideas.

Connie said...

Very nice. I love the colors you chose. Thanks for the link to order the metal from. I might just have to order some.

Anonymous said...

Very cute idea- I am thinking -hummm
maybe an idea for Christmas for a few of my names on my list!! THanks

blessings
mary

Phyllis @Around the House said...

The project is just so creative I love the wonderful colors you've chosen. It is beautiful...

Nae said...

Pretty good? It turned out fabUlous! I have just e-mailed a picture of it to you so hopefully you can add it to your post. I LOVE IT!!!

Moore Minutes said...

I want to make one! Thank you SO much for this post. You did an amazing job...I'm excited to try. :)

Happy Met Monday!
http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/10/walls-wrapped-in-charm.html

Leanne said...

It looks beautiful. I love your paper choices. THanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's very cute! I love the colors!

I have a linky party and a plea for help at my place, care to stop by:http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-month-bedroom-conundrum.html

Kath' said...

I love this idea. They turned out adorable. I went to the link you gave us and wasn't sure which metal I should get. Is it a certain thick of the metal ? Can you let me know which one to get. You can email me at dublshot@comcast.net
Thanks Kathy

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

Love the black one--it pops!

Julie said...

This is way to cute..
xoxo
Julie

Unknown said...

I love those! What a great, personalized gift idea. Would you mind if I save this post and use it in some gift idea posts I'm planning? With a link to you, of course. :)
Thanks for linking up!

The Style Sisters said...

Very Very Cute! Love how it turned out.

cindy@cottage instincts said...

That's it. I MUST learn to use modge podge. Such a great project! I prettified some clothespins similar to yours, but hadn't thought of adding magnets. Hmmmm.
Thanks for sharing :o)
peace.