Monday, October 26, 2009

Not Just An Apple

One of my favorite memories of growing up is loading up the car and going to one of my Mom's uncles to pick apples. The trees seemed huge and there were kids and adults all over the place...all of them related....and the sound of conversation and laughter filled the air. When the magic number of bushel baskets was picked and loaded into the trunks of several cars we headed off to Aunt Peggy's (Mom's sister) house. Once there we would unload the apples and the kids would be sent out to play while the women got to work. They would wash the apples and prepare them for the jars by running them through the Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer which made lovely green ribbons of apple peel that were a ready made snack for the occasional child that strayed through the kitchen to hear the banter of the sisters as they worked along side their Mother (my grandma). The peeled, cored and sliced apples were then placed in sanitized quart sized canning jars. At that point one of the Goodwin sisters would pour the most wonderful smelling sauce over the apples. It was thick and sweet and smelled faintly of cinnamon and cloves. Into the boiling water bath went the filled and sealed jars to cook and seal tight. While shooing the kids out to play...again...one of the sisters would carefully remove the jars out of the big pot and set them on the table to cool. The popping sound the jars made when the seal was achieved was celebrated with the fervor of a touch down pass.
It is a sweet smelling memory without a touch of sadness....except for the part when the day was over and we had to bid our cousins farewell. In that grand tradition I have learned to make apple pie filling for my own family. I started out making it with my friend Jackie. We canned all sorts of things that first year....but the apple pie filling was my favorite.
The childhood memories could be part of it...but it really does just taste that good. I make pies and crisps and cobblers and wonderful things that make my house smell like apple heaven.
It is not easy work but the rewards are worth the effort. This year I canned apple pie filling with my friends (sisters themselves) Heather and Salena. It was a great day and the fruits of our labors will be preserved throughout the winter months.
I know this is not the usual Met Monday post...but a metamorphosis was achieved and so it is here that I leave it with you. Check in with the group at Between Naps on the Porch for more metamorphosis marvels. You'll be glad you did.

photos by Heather Hubert

10 comments:

Kim said...

YAY for fabulous memories! Yay for your great friends in FF and YAY for me cause I get to eat the fruits of your labor...SOON my sista VERY SOON!!!!!

the mom~ said...

It was a great day indeed!!! Thanks for letting me be apart of it!

Charlene said...

It looks very yummy and on my list of things that I still need to learn in my lifetime!

Nae said...

And I am the lucky recipient of one of those jars of joy! Can't wait to enjoy that yummy treat. Life is all about the memories, right?

deborah said...

LOVE the post, your writing is wonderful!
I am also ready to make apple pie filling. I have the peeler, corer, slicer thing, but no recipe for the secret sauce. Would you share? Also, how long in the bath?
I can see from your faces, how much you all enjoyed your time together. Kind of a slice of heaven here on earth, eh?
Thanks for sharing the joy!
Deborah

Kim said...

Now you are making new memories with good friends :)

Susan said...

Lori, I"m so proud of you! There are not very many people that can food anymore! I love reading your memories! You make me happy! I'm hungry for an apple! Our trees didn't have any apples this year... ;(... Keep up the great work! Especially writing your memories down! It's a Happy Fall!

Unknown said...

Oh yummy...I wish I would have had time to do that this year. Growing up with my Mamma, we jarred 450 jars per year. It was insane. Thanks for sharing and bringing me back in time! Wish I could taste some!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I love the fact that you canned pie filling, not just apple sauce or apple butter, now all I need is the recipe, it looks wonderful...

Heather said...

Oh it was a great day! I too love your writing and your fabulous recipe for apple pie filling. Yummy stuff I tell ya!