Monday, July 21, 2008

A Blog About a Dog





Well, it might seem strange but since it's Nellie's birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! What a dog. I should tell you a little about Jim's dog. We had a fabulous dog named Lucy. Then Jim surprised Lucy and I with a puppy (Darla). Lucy eventually warmed up to Darla and even grew to like her. I have never seen anything funnier that my 120 lb. rotweiller playing with my 15 lb. pug. It was great. But, sadly, Lucy got bone cancer and died. Bad day, I still get weepy. Darla went into a serious funk. I didn't think she was going to make it. So we got the brilliant idea to get a puppy for Darla. After scanning the paper for a springer spaniel (with no luck) we decided on a labridinger (a designer mutt). The price was right and Jim loves labs with the same zeal I feel for springers. We went to the house to pick her out and found 9 female puppies and 2 males. The females were speckled and cute, but which one? After looking at all of them we narrowed them down to 5. It was hard to tell them apart, except one. She was already fetching a ball and looked pretty smart. They called her Princess. Dumb name for a dog, but we could figure that out later. I got the weirdest feeling of familiarity when I held this puppy. So we loaded her in the car for the 20 minute drive home. She bawled the whole time. I was not loving this puppy. When we got her in our house and introduced her to Darla, the crying stopped and they have been pals ever since. So 2 years later we almost like her most of the time, Naughty Nellie is her real name. She hates it when we leave so badly that she tries to tunnel her way into the house...through the screen! Oh well, Jim loves her and Darla does too. Happy Birthday, Naughty Nellie.

6 comments:

Charlene said...

which window did she go through? Dogs are just as hard and busy as children...I am definetly not ready for a dog!! She is a cute dog!!

Lori said...

She tore through both windows off the deck in the back. She is really naughty!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Nellie....I love you too!

J.J. said...

I so need to send you a pic of Moose. I swear they could be from the same litter if I didn't know better! SOunds like Ma and Pa are on their way in a few days for a visit! I was contemplating sneaking into their bags and visiting too....but when I heard it was going to take them a few days...I was worried about being left in the Dakotas....
So quick Q.....wanna read my book? YOu are a fan of Twilight too and I wrote mine before I read those and I'd like your opinion....if you want and only if you feel you can be completely honest. ???

Lori said...

I would love to read your book. I can be honest, unfortunately a bit too much sometimes. Your parents will be here Saturday or Sunday. We are looking forward to their visit.

the mom~ said...

Oh my that screen, I would have made Jim fix it...wait I bet he did! LOL You know me and dogs, not my favorite so to NN--Happy Birthday you naughty dog!