Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Oahu: Day 6 AKA the Last Day Part 1

On our last day we visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial.
We rode the ferry out to the memorial. This is a pic of the oil that leaks out of the hull (2-9 quarts a day).
There is a sacred feeling here. Like a cemetery. There are bodies interred here...their final resting place. 
There is a sadness that we could feel. If you look at Jim's face in the following pictures, you can tell he wasn't just feeling the sad. 
The names of the brave soldiers that lost their lives are carved on the wall at the end of the memorial. It feels like a chapel, reverent and sacred. 
I couldn't help but wonder if I was the only one that left there feeling more patriotic than when I came in. The sacrifice of our military members never ceases to amaze me. They and their families give so much.
I love this guy. He has a big heart. This was really a hard visit for him. 
Angry eyes. He had a hard time concealing his emotions.
The gun turrets still stick out of the water.
Dear Lord
Lest I continue
My complacent way
Help me to remember
Somehow out there
A man died for me today.
As long as there be war
Then I must
Ask and answer
Am I worth dying for?
–Prayer Eleanor Roosevelt kept in her wallet during WWII
That prayer on this wall at the memorial hit us hard. A brave question...Are we worth dying for?
This is a photo from the internet. I like how you can see the outline of the ship the USS Arizona under the water. The boat at the bottom of the picture is the ferry that brings visitors out to the memorial. You can see the gun turret and the flag that I took pictures of. The end of the white building at the top of the picture is where the chapel with all the names is. 
This was a great way to start our last day in Oahu.

No comments: