Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Oahu: Day 6 The Afternoon

After we visited the Pearl Harbor memorial we went to the Punchbowl AKA the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. It was a beautiful cemetery with a monument with the fallen soldiers names on concrete blocks lining the steps. You can see them in the picture below on the right hand side. When we walked up all those steps we may or may not have sang the theme from Rocky.
Looking from the top of the steps back out toward the ocean you can see Diamond Head and Honolulu. 
Behind me you can see inside the main building. It has tile murals depicting key battles in all the Pacific wars. 
A picture of Ilise taking a picture of me taking a picture of her.
Another view of Honolulu.
Jim's back was hurting so he took the opportunity to stretch while he and Robert looked at the murals.
Deep thoughts.....
I love seeing the flag. It inspires me.
There was a little chapel here too. It was beautiful and multi-denominational. 
This memorial isn't as visited as Pearl Harbor but was just as moving.
Yes. More flags. 
There were beautiful flowers everywhere. I didn't take as many pictures of them as I should have. They were stunning.
After this we found some dinner and headed for the airport. It is a 7 hour flight and we HATED every minute of it. But it is how you get to paradise so it is a sacrifice I am willing to make. I can't wait to go back. Hawaii, you have captivated me heart and soul.

No comments: