Saturday, July 25, 2009

He Killed It


A while back I started noticing some dry looking patches in our yard. It was odd because we'd just had A LOT of rain. I noticed them getting drier and bigger for a few days. huh....I asked Jim what he thought the issue was. Jim has always been very particular about our yard...wherever we've lived. In fact he'd has sort of a reputation for being "THE" yard guy. In Rigby he would spend hours working in the yard. While the rest of us didn't share his passion for yard work we were able to...support him...in his obsession to have the greenest, most fabulous lawn in the hood.
In Rigby, many a neighbor watched as Jim hand watered the dry patches and cared for the 80 some odd trees on our almost acre sized lot. They watched as we placed huge slabs of stone in our landscape. They even laughed as we raked, swept and vacuumed the tiny rocks from the grass that the careless drivers had flipped onto our green oasis. So as our "dry" patches here began to grow....I was worried. I was afraid of what new yard project we were going to have to participate in to fix this mess. As Jim and my Dad (so not a yard guy) were discussing the possible causes of such a large scale patch problem, it dawned on my Dear Hubby. He had used what he thought was WD40 (or actually some other real weed killer that I can not name at this moment) just the week before. He ran to the garage to inspect the offending chemical only to find a jug of Round-Up in it's place. Horrified, he gasped....wondering if he had caused this lawn graffiti. Apparently when he thought he'd be just killing weeds....he was killing EVERYTHING!!! So sad for lawn guy!! Now that we had the culprit we needed a solution. We were going to have an open house for Kevin in a week and the lawn looked like a mine field. Oh, what would Rob say?? What would Bob say?? (Well, like any true friends....they would laugh....duh!!) We tried to paint the spots. We'd seen that done on DIY....why not. Not so much. Next course of action.....sod.

Oh, how Jo and I despise sod. In Rigby we dug a lot of sod out of our yard in various landscape projects. But now we get to dig out dead grass and put in a patch of....not dead....grass. Fun??? Not in the slightest. Hard, back breaking work.....yes.
So much for the newly painted nails. Oh well....My DH's sanity is worth more than pretty nails...right??
We raked and shoveled for 2 hours and managed to get 6 of the 10 rolls placed. It was the least amount of fun I'd had all day....which really isn't a fair statement because up until that point I'd had one of the MOST fun days I've had in months. So I guess this kind of balanced it out.
We still have a lot of work to do...but I think it will look better...at least. It certainly can't look much worse. Poor Jim. He really didn't mean to kill it.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh! That is funny...in a sad sad way! Jim and my hubby could be best friends! I didn't know he was such a yard guro! We have been working in our backyard all summer trying to get it "a garden of Eden" (Brian) and "done" (Me). Brian has been working on a water fall, but I just want grass and a play set for the kids. So, lately we have shifted our efforts towards the grass. Since Brian threw out his back I got to dig a trench (insert big arm muscle picture), sod is (hopefully) coming soon. Oh boy. Maybe we will recruit you guys to come and help:c)

Kim said...

Sounds like Jim is as particular as Ed. Hopefully it will get to looking nice again. What a job!

the mom~ said...

Yikes, seems like A LOT of work that sod...why not just plant some seed and water it till it grows back? LOL None the less...job well done :)

Nae said...

Again, Jim continues to remind me of my Dad... and I love it! OCD - such a fun little quirk!! You are such a sport, Lori. I am afraid I would have found lots of other things I HAD to be doing instead. ;-)