So, I was born into a family of funny, talented and beautiful women. I mean really it's embarrassing how fabulous the women in my family are. I did inherit many great and wonderful qualities that they have. Color coordination, however, is not one of them. Now... I can put colors together in a quilt that gets praised for my bold use of color, but as far as choosing colors for the walls of my house...bold is not always best. I agonize over color choices for weeks before choosing the (somewhat) perfect hue. I even enlist the help of friends to debate the qualities of yellow over beige. I am very tired of beige but not really ready to spend long weeks mulling over color samples. Jim really wanted the walls in the family room painted...but he really likes the beige on the walls.

He is nervous of my color choices...for good reason. So instead of thinking and planning...I just went out and picked a color and started painting. The lady at the paint counter recommended this lovely shade of peach/skin tone crayon.

The walls in the family room run right into my kitchen. I already have a perfect red in my kitchen so I needed a color to that didn't make me hate the red...and life in general. After 2 coats of this yucky peachy/sickly skin tone color... I knew it wouldn't work. So, back to the paint counter. This time I chose a lovely burnt orange color.

My sister has a similar color in her new kitchen and I love it.

But after 2 coats on my practice wall I realized that this color is way too dark for the room. It is long and narrow without any windows. Dark is not our friend...especially when it's winter. So back to the paint counter I went. I was pretty discouraged and really starting to panic. What was I going to do? So, I chose a shade lighter of the burnt orange that I liked and hoped for the best.

Of course the lady mixed it wrong and so I had to make 2 trips for this color. It was more pink/santa fe that I had imagined. I didn't get any sleep that night. The wrong paint on the wall

really stressed me out. Finally at 4:00 a.m. just before the alarm was to go off I dreamed about the perfect color. Yellow. I know...crazy...but that's how I roll. So I went back to the paint counter and ordered up a perfect country yellow that goes beautifully with the red and brightens the room. Now when it's 30* below zero we will have a sunny room to hang out in.

So here is the finished product, I love it and hope Jim can adjust to the lack of beige. And why do I blame this on my sister??? Well, she got my share of good taste and color choosing and I got hit with an extra dose of the "B" gene. Thanks, Michelle!



I will post pics of the family room part when I get paint behind the "jumbo tron" a.k.a. the TV and the furniture put back in the room.
6 comments:
That is DARLING!! I need to hire you to come do mine! My house needs to be painted so bad...you talk about the "Peachy, terra cotta" color...well guess what I have all over! Not my fav! I love yours!
It is perfect! I have yellow walls and red cabinets! It's perfect and my goodness you went through A LOT of paint to get the perfect color!!! And you stressed me out when you texted me nervous about paint colors...you're nuts!
I feeeel your stress! I don't know why you ask me, I am no better, and I think you did a great job on the paint. Peachy/sickly skin color?-I am not familiar with since I am milky white!
Ooooh, I love what you ended up with! Sorry it was so painful to get to that point!
I consider myself a color expert (I got a degree in design and took color classes after all!)...anyways, I just want you to know that I LOVE IT! Looks soooo good! And it means something coming from me, cuz I'm an expert:cP
The finished product is soooo pretty! You scared me there for a minute lol. Love you guys
Post a Comment