Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sir, Are You OK??


So, I'm back in town. My trip was fabulous. Right up until the last 6 hours. I'm trying really hard to not let the plane ride home over shadow the previous 5 days. We ate Fair food, took Bridger to the Crashin' Derby, played with tape, tried to get just one night of sleep, helped Michelle find her missing toe, had pictures of baby taken and hours and hours of baby snuggles. Oh, I loved that part. She is so sweet and small...and loud! Man that kid has some pipes. But she is so perfect that it didn't matter. But...then the day to come home arrived. My Dad doesn't do good-byes anymore so he went golfing, Michelle had to put her partying ways behind her and go back to work, so that left Kim and Cylie to take me to the airport. I am getting pretty good at holding back the tears until I am in the terminal. So I was already emotional when I flew into Salt Lake City. I like that airport. I can find my way around it pretty easily. So we all boarded the tiny aircraft to fly to Minneapolis, it was a full flight. The person who was to sit next to me was the last (by like 15 minutes) to get on the plane. He'd had to run from his previous flight across the airport to this plane and barely made it. I was coveting his window seat because all I wanted to do was curl up next to the window and sleep (I do that when I'm emotional). But he preferred the window also and since that was his assigned seat I didn't offer to arm wrestle him for it. He got situated and we began to taxi to the runway. Then I noticed that he wasn't really OK anymore. He was kind of humming and breathing funny and his arms were moving all goofy. I asked if he was OK and the lady across the isle flagged the attendant and we tried to get his attention. Then from the seat behind me some one reached over and gave this guy a wicked sternum rub. And no response. I quickly got out of the way, the attendant called for the pilot to return to the gate and the doctor (the mysterious guy behind me) pulled the man from his seat and started CPR. There was a traveling nurse (her description, not mine, weren't we all traveling?) a few seats in front of me and she tried to get in to help. Long story short, they worked on him until paramedics came and they hauled him off in the ambulance. He didn't make it. It was the most scary, the most surreal thing that has ever happened to me. I was shaking (but trying not to make a big deal out of it) and trying not to cry. I just wanted to be home and let the day be over. I'll tell you I didn't sit in his seat either. I sat ram-rod straight the entire 3 hours to MN and just looked into air in front of me. I was so glad when I finally reached Fargo and got to hug Jim and Jo (Kev had to work). I'll probably fly again...but I'll never covet any one's seat ever again.

8 comments:

La Mujer Loca said...

SCARY! Was it a young guy or old? How freaky.

Charlene said...

CRAZY!! How are you doing today? Did you ever find out what happened to him?

Lori said...

He wasn't way old...I'd guess about 67ish. He was prounced DOA at the hospital. Bummer

J.J. said...

Other than the dead old guy....hope you had a good trip home....both ways

Rochelleht said...

Oh my gosh, Lori! I am freaking out!!!! You poor thing! What a horrible experience. I have flown so many times, I could never begin to count and have never had anything even remotely like that kind of drama happen. You poor girl that in the few times you've had to fly you have that experience. I hope it doesn't deter you too much. That is just like the craziest thing ever.

the mom~ said...

Holy smokes woman, how crazy and sad. So I wonder if he had a heart attack from running all crazy to get to his flight or something...sad. How are you now? I hope you are well Lori. HUGS!

Heather said...

Holy moly!!! I am so sorry for that poor guy and for you. I'll have to tell you my old lady in the temple story, but it isn't quite dramatic as yours!!!

Unknown said...

Whoa! That is quite the experience! I hope that if I am ever in a situation like that I won't absolutely FREAK OUT!! I am proud of you for holding it all together!

Oh, and so glad you had a good time while you were here with your family!