Saturday, November 15, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday


I just want to wish my Dad a Happy 60th Birthday. His birthday was on the 11th...but I didn't have just the right picture...now that I do...let the public humiliation begin. Just kidding Dad. Sheesh...don't get so worked up. It isn't that type of blog. In case you don't know, I am the oldest child of Steve and Connie...hence the control issues. My Dad and I have had a tumultuous relationship. He tried with all his might to keep me from doing stupid things...and I tried with equal force to do them anyway. Neither of us won in this battle of the wills...in fact a lot was lost. Then the day came when I grew up...and he finally let me. I credit Kevin with helping to form those first tentative white flags. One thing I always knew growing up is that Dad was going to be there for me...always. He never drew that line in the sand...you know the one...the line, that if crossed means the end of the relationship. Now when I look back over my life I see a man struggling to hold on to his daughter and keep her safe. I admire that man for trying so hard. I appreciate him for setting boundaries and making sure I was given the skills to make good choices (not that I chose to use them). I love him for always being there for me when I needed him the most. My Dad is a man of few words...so I'm sure he'll think this entry is a waste of precious verb-age...so I'll make my point. Dad...I am the person I am today because I have a Dad that pulled me out of many (proverbial) burning buildings with out hesitating. Thank you and I love you. Dad playing with some of the grandkids...one of his favorite past times.
Dad making a snowman with (from left) Travis, his son Cade, Kevin and Gramps


"Camping" in Colorado.

3 comments:

the mom~ said...

Awwwww....Happy birthday to your amazing dad...what a great guy!

Kim said...

Dads are always there for us..they don't let us fall..and I think they TRY and let us learn from our mistakes. They don't want to let us go. Being the only girl, I really think it was hard to see me get married and move away. We both cried.

Nae said...

Lori - I love your heart-felt tribute to your dad!