I work as a sub for the school district here in town. Because I don't have a 4 year degree, I can't sub as a teacher in a classroom. I can, however, sub for the numerous secretaries, paras and lunch ladies. Today was my favorite day so far. I have subbed in the lunchroom...not my favorite. I have subbed in the Counseling Office...not bad...got to wear cute clothes. I have subbed for several different paras. Usually I sub for a lady that works with a girl that is severely autistic and has a learning delay. She is hard to work with. Picture an 8 year old girl with the mentality of an 18 month old. It is a wrestling match most of the day. Today I got to work with 2 girls. Carly is 5. This is her first year in kindergarten...most of the kids I work with have 1 or 2 years under their belts. She has a BIG smile...when she chooses to show it to you. She is an angel with a learning delay and other issues due to the substances her Mom chose to ingest during pregnancy. As long as we were moving forward she was fine. To change direction caused too much stress and we had to really work for a seamless transition. She is undeniably sweet and such an angel. The other girl is Mary Jane. She will be 6 tomorrow and this is her second year in kindergarten. She is a bright girl with some autistic tendencies. Transitions for her are really hard, so is not being chosen or not winning at a game. If she is over-looked too many times by the teacher she WILL have a melt down...and she did. wow. But the funniest thing happened during her melt down. I felt my Mom there...no, I haven't finally slipped over to the dark side...she was there. This morning I felt I needed to pray for my Mom's spirit to be with me. I do that sometimes if I miss her or if I know I'm going to have a rough day or if I need her special kind of guidance. (If you don't know, my Mom worked with kids with special needs for the State of Idaho for many years. She loved her work with the kids and was loved in return for her efforts.) While Mary Jane was in the midst of her VERY LOUD melt down I was at a loss of how best to calm her. My Mom's voice whispered in my head some simple directions. Sure enough, it worked. We skipped going back to her regular classroom and headed to the resource room for a little more of a contained atmosphere. She started to trip back down "melt down lane" and the head of the Special Ed department did the same things that I was doing not minutes before. I was elated...and I was humbled. I have a loving Father in Heaven who knows my needs and will bless me when I need it. I feel like I accomplished something with Mary Jane today. Not a bad day for a sub.
11 comments:
what a wonderful blessing - i am totally jealous!! i love kids with special needs...they radiate the Lords love like nothing else! You are amazing - thank you for being an example of staying close to the spirit so that you are worthy of your mom's presence!! You are SO wonderful!
ps...i got the go ahead this weekend to put my tree up :) YEA!! (ben wrote in my b-day card that he was fine with me decorating already...WAHOOOO!)
Thanks, Christy. We were standing outside waiting in the 27* weather for her bus to come. She was watching her breath come out in icy crystals and she pulled me down to her face and watched me breathe for a minute. Then she yelled "Hey! You smoke too!!" Too funny. Such an angel.
Congrats on your tree. I'm very excited for you.
Isn't that great that we really KNOW that our loved ones on the other side of the veil can be with us? When Sabrina was born I knew that my aunt Jan (who had passed away about a year and a half before) was there bringing Sabrina. My Mom was there with me and she told me that she knew it too. It is the sweet moments like that you should hold on to to make the hard days seem a little easier! See you in...how many was it?? 12 days:c)
So glad that your mom was with you today and that you had a great day!I love thinking about how it all works out!
Lori, you are a wonderful story-teller and I love that you make me really appreciate the blessings He gives me every day. Not everyone listens to the gentle whispers received and I hope you realize just what a special person you are!
Isn't wonderful having an angel on your shoulder to help in the time of need? Maybe you will follow in your mom's footsteps and lean that way--helping special needs children. They are special.
Glad I'm not at work today reading this...tears are streaming down my face. What an amazing woman you are Lori...and thatnks to your mom for still guiding you in your daily life. WHat an angel she is. To God be the glory!!!
you really need to put a heads up that I need to get a tissue ready before I read some of these! one of these days I am going to get caught like I am right now with tears running down my cheeks! I told you mom would be there you just have to tune in to a different frequency to hear her! She is still so amazing! I miss her dearly! I am so thankful to her for teaching us so many lessons! The most important of all is how important our families are! I love you!
Oh yea now that i am not crying I can think clearly I love your new page I forgot to tell you in my last comment! Hugs to you!
That sounds like a wonderful way to spend your time! What a wonderful way to warm the heart and bring a smile to your face! It reminds us of the things that are important!
You know I loved that! I'm so glad you had a great time. Ethan is really struggling right now with transition to and from school. He's hitting the drivers and teachers. It really stresses me out. Thank goodness for people who DON'T get paid enough to take care of him and those like him.
Post a Comment