Thursday, November 6, 2008

What Is the Christmas Spirit?


So, since I've moved away from Idaho...I have experienced a bit of culture shock. The radio stations don't edit the songs they play, the kids are a bit more...worldly and EVERYTHING is open and happening on Sunday. I have learned more about other religions and found fabulous people living their religion to the fullest...including members of my own faith. I have found comfort in small things like family recipes and scrapbooks and traditions. Things I used to take for granted are also coming to mean more to me. Every second spent with a family member is a gift and should be treated as such. Some of the traditions that we did with our extended family are what I miss the most...probably because they are now, few and far between. I have (obviously) been thinking of Christmas a lot lately. I was listening to the radio (the Christmas music station) as I drove Jo to school today. The dj was so excited because her kids had been listening to the station and had gotten into the Christmas Spirit. And while that didn't surprise or disturb me, what she said next did. The way her kids were getting into "the Christmas Spirit" wasn't to be a little nicer to each other or set up a leaf raking service project. The extent of their apparent "Spirit" was to present their Mom with their Christmas wish list for Santa. What??? Are you kidding me?? That can't be possible. Did she just say that the Christmas Spirit is best exhibited by how much stuff your kids are expecting to be under the tree?? hhhmmmm Not exactly my idea of the Spirit of Christmas. I put my tree up early not as a hint to my kids to start their lists, but because of the peace and love it brings into our home. No, it doesn't cause us all to have personality transplants, but there is a subtle change that takes place. We are all a little nicer, we're a bit more thankful and maybe a little introspective. I love this time of year for those reasons. I was (am) a bit ticked at the dj for inferring that the reason for the season is merely the gifts we get. That part is fun...but what can we give? Who's load can we lighten, what can we do to spread the light of Christ? Isn't that what it's REALLY all about?

7 comments:

the mom~ said...

Wow Lori! Neither of my kids even believe in Santa so Ethan would have laughed at the dj. Even he knows the real reason for CHRISTmas! See ya tomorrow :)

Kim said...

Absolutely beautiful...you are such a excellent writer. More people out there need to know the real meaning of Christmas...and why is it we have so many more people at church on Christmas and Easter...hello!! Where are you the rest of the year? We need God and Faith all year long.

Charlene said...

I couldn't agree more. Our kids know what the Christmas spirit is all about, and I am grateful for that.

Chrys said...

What a great write-up. I usually put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving, it's tradition. But you have inspired me and I think I will put it up sooner. We are going to focus on giving to another family this year and also participate in a live Nativity at a local theatre. That always brings the Spririt of CHRISTmas to our family. I love your passion for the holidays.

J.J. said...

I have to agree with you! Christmas is suppose to be the celebration of the birth of our savior......the commercial world has just taken over so much of our lives....people have gotten lost in the mix of the sales adds and commercials......the world might be a better place if they remembered the true reason for the season! Though I have to admit though my kids know that it is Jesus' birthday......they also believe in Santa......even if they don't they won't admit it! not even Sami....Which is fun.....but they all know it isn't the gifts you recieve it is the love you give to others......
BTW Jim sent me your family pics.....you are all so gorgeous! I need to get it on my wall.....mine is outdated! I think Jo was in the first grade? LOL okay maybe it isn't that old!

Heather said...

I love that my kids are much more focused on creating, giving, baking, singing, doing and decorating and there is very little mention of getting and recieving. (Well except for ONE child, but she has learned to be quiet about it...she just sits and makes lists!) So sad for that dj and her kids....they're missin' out!

Annie & Joseph Gardner said...

AMEN SISTA!! Drives me NUTS to hear all the kids listing what they want to GET and nothing about what they can GIVE...whether it be to other family members, church, community...what-have-you.