Sunday, March 22, 2009

Driving Miss Lori

On a good day I am a bundle of raw nerves wrapped in skin. I tend to over-react and become ridiculous at a moments notice. I also have wicked spacial issues. I don't like anyone standing in my space...let alone driving in it. Yesterday I let Jo drive home from Wal-Mart. She technically doesn't have her permit yet...but she does take that test on Tuesday. Drivers Ed. is so different here. Here the kids take a 2 week class (after school for 3 hours a day) and then take a test to receive their permit. Then they drive with their parents for 30 hours (10 of them being at night). During that time they are required to drive with an instructor 4 times during that 30 hours to make sure they are being properly trained. At the end of the 30 hours they take their final driving and written tests and, assuming they have passed, they receive a drivers license. So, as I was saying...I let Jo drive me home on Saturday. I guess the fact that she had never driven in town escaped my memory. All in all she did pretty good. But imagine me...trying so hard not to look or sound nervous....clinging to the seat while giving her instructions. "Ok, Jo, start braking. Good, a little more brake...please brake....oh........OK. That was good. Now turn here and try to get out of the turn lane and on to the other road quickly....quickly....oh.....please.....OK. Good." All the while her phone is buzzing as her friends are texting her. All I can think is that if she takes her hand off the wheel even for a second we are going to die. Luckily she ignored it the whole time. She was concentrating so hard on her driving that she forgot to breathe....hehehe. I asked her if she was OK. She said that she was, but there was just so much to keep track of. Staying in her lane (it is really the first and most important rule when driving with me), keeping track of her speed, dodging the flock of wild turkeys in the road (no joke...there was 7 of them) and braking in time to stop before the cross walks....and breathing....don't forget to breathe. It turned out to be a good learning experience for both of us. I am learning to stay calm with a teenage driver in the car and she is learning to breathe...and keep the car on the road.....while her nervous Mom sits beside her and tries not to grab for the chicken bar.

13 comments:

La Mujer Loca said...

Yowsers! OK--you now have the right to get some gray hairs. Jo is driving? She's so old. Holy cow.

Grandma Rozla said...

Okay so one of my first times driving I was with my dad (hated to drive with my dad). I was going into the driveway - oh so carefully when for some reason I hit the gas instead of the brake and came literally within a couple of inches of crashing into the garage door. Yea, I NEVER did that again. Good luck friend:)

Anonymous said...

Boy do I understand!!!!

Not sure B&J will be receiving instruction from me. Better yet maybe not driving until I don't know maybe 30.
Now that Anthony has his license I have hit a new unwanted experience, the waiting in anticipation every minute he is gone. Begging the Lord to protect him
and everyone else around him. Not exactly cool.

Good luck,
Jackie

Kim said...

Ha! Ha! Glad it's you and not me. I get a year off until it's Kelsey's turn. Except now I do get the 'waiting in anticipation' also until Kayla comes home and saying little prayers.

Charlene said...

LOL!!! not looking forward to that anytime soon. She told me today that she drove home from Wal-mart and it went fine!!

the mom~ said...

The chicken bar..we call it the "Oh Sh*t Handle." :0
Glad she got you home safely! And WTG Jo...soon we can go to fargo and troll for boys!!! Hahaha!

Nae said...

We call the chicken bar the same name as Salena. Ha! Remember tension is good 'cause it is when you relax that you get distracted and then all h*ll breaks loose. Great job Jo!!

Teresa said...

I hated driving with my Mom when I was learning to drive (and probably 5 yrs after that)! She had an imaginary brake that she would hit with her foot! I did much better with my Dad!

Kim said...

BaHAHAHAHA, I busted out laughing as I read this and pictured your little butt checks puckered up! BAHAHAHAHA! I am glad you took her and not Jim, can you imagine the bundle of nerves JO would have been! Well done my sista well done!

Heather said...

Uh-oh Lori you are in trouble now....Jo can drive across town to Salena's house. It' all down hill from there...lol! What an exciting new chapter in your life! I am SO GLAD that you are here...kinda like my pre-training! I love it!

Rochelleht said...

Ha ha! Sounds like you did a great job. It reminds me of the time my dad tried to teach me to drive stick. I was in the car and he was behind me on a motorcycle (I know!!) screaming directions at me. I remember stalling at the intersection of the library and crying and him screaming and me hoping none of my friends were around.

Good times, good times...

Chrys said...

I can't believe how much our lives are alike! I guess that's what happens when your kids are close in age. Our driver's ed is a bit different than yours. The kid takes a test and get a permit as early as age 15. Then they drive with mom/dad for one year to practice. They have to have around 30 hours daytime and 10 hours nighttime. Surely that is easy to do in a year's time. Taylor just got his permit a few weeks ago and is driving me all over. He is a good driver but I was so tense in the beginning. I still insist on driving when I am in a hurry to be somewhere. I feel like I have lost control so I only let him drive when I'm feeling extremely patient. Then I don't yell or scream so much! Good luck to you....

Jeri said...

Jo's old enough to drive!!! Sweet. Hang in there Lor, she is going to be great!