Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A River Runs Through It

Minnesota is serious about a few things; hockey, the Vikings, winter and now, spring. Not even 5 days ago the high for the day was was -1. Yesterday the high was 50...above zero. It was so nice. There were people (Jim included) out in their flip flops and shorts digging the ice dams out of their driveways. My winter coat...that until we moved here was used only for riding the 4-wheeler on those frosty 25 degree days...is still slung over a chair. I don't dare put it away.I am sure this is just a cruel joke played by Mother Nature. Surely she can't just flip a switch and spring is here. Or if she can...why did she wait so long? The river running down the road makes me want to round up the neighborhood kids and make boats and race them. The gutters are full the streets are rippling creek beds. Now all we need are the monster size snow hills to vanish and all will be right again. As a kid we had a video of these little sun-worshiping cartoon people. They mined it from a cave or something. They had a very catchy little song and a sun dance. I will tell you...yesterday, while I'm sure no one was watching...I did the dance. I sang the song. I turned my face into the sun and closed my eyes and smiled. And it was good.

6 comments:

Kim said...

SUN SHINE, SUN SHINE,! I sang it the other day too! LOVE IT! I am happy your starting to thaw out a bit! A boat race would be fun you should do it!

Charlene said...

I didn't do any dancing, but we were all smiles yesterday enjoying the sunshine ALL DAY!!!

Teresa said...

Now if you were in Utah the snow would all melt, you would settle in for a nice long spring haul....and then it would snow again!! I hope Spring stays for you!! It also reminds me of when Brian and I went to St George in February and we were in shorts. Someone ask us if we were from Utah county. We ask how he knew, he said it was because no one in St George would be wearing shorts yet, but to people in Utah county it was warm! Sure was!

Kim said...

One year I washed all the winter coats and packed them away only to bring them back out.

Nae said...

Next time, you have to video tape your song and dance routine, pretty please?? Isn't it so refreshing to see the giant drifts shrinking? This is why we have crummy winter's, so we can really and truly appreciate spring... which BTW is on Friday. Can I get a woot-woot?

Heather said...

Smart girl to not put your coat away yet. It's like washing your car and then it rains the next day. DON'T PUT YOUR COAT AWAY! It will bring back winter! And this spring-like weather we are having is oh-so-lovely! You'll have to teach me your sunshine dance. I could use some new moves!