Sunday, December 6, 2009

I'm a Follower

I'll admit it. I'm not a leader. I'm more of a follower. It's something I've always done. My Dad once asked me "If your friends jumped off a bridge....would you?" Why, yes Dad, yes I would. No lie. Now the next sentence wasn't true of my friends back then.....but of my current friends I would say absolutely....I would jump. I am lucky enough to find myself surrounded by friends that would only ask me to jump off that bridge if it was really in my best interest. That being said....I have seen the most gorgeous wreaths around blog land lately. "They" have taken glass Christmas ball ornaments and either strung them on a coat hanger that has gone straight(hahaha)....or they have glued them onto a foam wreath base. Personally, I was dying to try the foam base method...but alas.....it was not to be. No where in my town was there a foam wreath base to be found. Sad....So I got busy unwinding the hanger. It wasn't hard. Oh....and you really should follow the instructions found here. I have been picking up ornaments for a couple of months. I got some at Target and some at the Dollar Store and some at the Wal-Mart....all on sale. I dumped them out and glued the tops on so they don't make my life more frustrating than it already is.
Then I looped one end of the hanger onto the bar stool so I didn't miss a minute of Phinneas and Ferb so I could string the balls like odd colored cranberries. You really need a lot of ornaments...more of the larger size than I ended up with. I strung them and twisted them around and even added a few jingle bells. I did glue a few smaller ornaments in the gaps where the hanger was showing.....nothing worse than having your hanger showing!
I added a bow on the top (that needs to be tightened) and there you have it! I don't hate it....but I have a reeeeaaalllllly hard time with anything random. I need a little more order. I need the colors more evenly spaced. It's just how I roll. I am still going to try the foam based wreath. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I am linking to BNTP. Check it out for some great project ideas!!

16 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful! I love those green ones with the white design. I'm thinking of picking up ornaments at the end of the season and just planning for next year for this project.

Phyllis @Around the House said...

Very cute wreath, what a good job you did on that...love it..

Heather said...

Oooh...I lOVE IT! Of course I am all about RANDOM! I think it turned out beautifully. I am going to have to start collecting ornaments and do this for next year. Thanks for all of the fabulous inspiration that you bring to the blogosphere and into my life!

Kelee Katillac said...

Love your wreath!!!!!!

Stop by....

love, kelee

the mom~ said...

I like it! You sure are crafty ;)

Destination Seaborn said...

How festive! I love all the different sizes and colors! It definately makes this wreath a "leader" instead of a "follower". Awesome job! ~Lisa

Donna said...

Well, I think your wreath is lovely! I'm a "follower", too. :)


D

Rochelleht said...

Wow. Amazing. I love Phineas and Ferb...

Saw Kevin yesterday. He told me to tell you that he is getting transfered on Wed to Mejia. Apparently, it is near Waco. Hopefully, he'll make it back up here again.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

thanks for sharing your tips! Still haven't made one of these...maybe next week. :)
gail

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Eddie Ross would be proud!! Your wreath came out lovely

Jodi Goodwin said...

very cute!

LEanne said...

I might be the only person left in blogland that hasn't made one of these wreaths. It's now on my list for this week. Yours turned out great. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy said...

I understand your need for "order" because I stop the creative process often for just that reason. However, this is just beautiful. I want to make one...just need that wire hanger. There must be a dry cleaners somewhere in Vermont. (It could end up being very expensive looking for one! :-)

Nae said...

Very beautiful! I love the variety in size and color and glad you embraced randomness for this project. Sometimes ya just got to go to the wild side... really - come join me!!

Marigene said...

Gorgeous! I ♥ the colors you have chosen.

Chrys said...

Once again, I am so impressed. You find or create the cutest ideas. I am totally a follower and when I find the time I am going to copy this beautiful wreath you so graciously have shared. Merry Christmas