Friday, December 11, 2009

A Year in Review

This is our Christmas letter from last year. This year I have decided to do the same sort of letter....on my blog, of course. I think the people who really care about what we did will find it on my blog and those who don't won't have to be bored to tears by the endless stream of sticky sweetness that these Christmas letters seem to contain. Seriously, I read one letter that was sent with a darling Christmas card yesterday. I felt like I needed to brush my teeth is was so syrupy. I was amazed at the amount of smoke this letter was trying to blow......yeah. Anyway, to avoid putting any of you into insulin shock, I have decided to keep it more realistic this year. Here goes...

January:
I was still working at the kindergarten very regularly.
Jim-still working at the bakery
Jo and Kev-still in school. Not loving it....not getting straight A's
February:
Dark day....We hit the first anniversary of Mom's passing. Dark day indeed.....
March:
More school....lots of work.....snow.....ish.....
April:
Jim and I celebrated our anniversary
Michelle (my sister) delivered a healthy, beautiful baby boy! Welcome to the fam, Cooper!!
May:
I flew to Idaho to see Michelle and Cooper (and the rest of the fam...of course)
While I was in ID, Kevin received his mission call to the Texas, Fort Worth Mission. I was standing in Kohl's when he opened it and read it to me over the phone! hahaha I did get some strange looks as I stood there, my eyes leaking.....
June:
This was my favorite month of the ENTIRE year!! My sisters and their families and my Dad came to visit me in Minnesota. It is a hellish drive and it was made even longer when one of the vehicles hit a big rock in the road and they were delayed for hours!! I loved the time with them here and will always remember their kindness.
Jo went home with them....I was pretty sure she would come back!! hahaha
My best pal Jackie and her family made the drive to see us. I am so grateful for her and her friendship. They were here for the only good week of weather we had in June!!
Kevin turned 19 and we finished our preparations for him to go.
July:
Kevin flew to SLC to enter the Missionary Training Center. We miss that guy so much!!
Dad brought Jo back to us and stayed for a visit. He brought along his best traveling companion (Lacey) and we had such a good time with them here!!
Jo took the 2 week drivers training course. So scary that she is old enough to drive. She has to drive with an adult until she turns 16....and then.......
August:
Kevin left the MTC and headed to the great state of Texas!!
Jo went to Stake Girls Camp and met Elaine Dalton!! She was so excited to meet her. Jo said that Sister Dalton took time to talk to each girl and let them know how much she loves them all.
Jim went to Flagstaff.....long story.....turned down an opportunity to escape the cold......
September:
I started work again. This time I was a full time sub at the school that houses grades 1&2. Their special ed program was in need of a new para and I filled the job until they could find one. It lasted 2 months and I loved it. They asked if I wanted the job....I said no.
Jo turned 16.....man I'm getting old!!
October:
I canned apple pie filling with my friends.
Jim started his new job....sort of. He was given another bakery (in Grand Rapids, MI). He loves to travel so much (HA) that he gets to go there once or twice a month for a week or 2 at a time.
November:
I got some much needed new carpet....not a lot....just some.....
We got to go to ID for Thanksgiving. It was the best trip home EVER!! Well, except for the fact that Kevin was missing. I find that punk left quite a hole....he is so missed!!
Jo passed her driving test and is now a licensed driver (gulp!)
December:
Kevin was transferred for the first time. He loves his new companion and is getting to know the area. I will miss having him in Fossil Ridge....Now I don't have anyone there to keep me informed on his well-being!!
Jim finished up his work in Michigan. Now he can just hold phone meetings and cut back on the travel. With the Smucker's plant in Fargo closing.....that does leave our future a bit up in the air. We have made some preliminary plans....more on that to come.

For the most part we are healthy and well. We get along with the day to day operations as good as the next group. I have tried to keep this year-end re-cap as real and gritty as it was. I hope I didn't get too gooey sweet for you all.

I do hope that all my friends and family are deliriously happy and well. I have loved keeping up with everyone on facebook. That has been a blast. I hope that you all have an adequate and satisfying New Year....as I'm sure we will as well. Keep in touch!!

((HUGS)).......Lori

7 comments:

Charlene said...

What a great idea!!! I may have to steal your idea!! No Christmas letter this year from us, but I atleast sent Christmas cards this year!!!

the mom~ said...

I am hoping since you should have received MY Christmas letter MONDAY it's not MY letter your referring too...and besides Abram wrote ours and there aint nothing sweet about him...LOL

thanks for the updates!

Rochelleht said...

I love it! I do agree some of those letters are a bit much. BLAH! But, I still love getting them.

I hope everything works out in the employment department. This is a crazy time!!!

Teresa said...

Thanks for the update...so much I didn't know. Sorry my letter was so syrupy I tried to keep it on the DL, but you know how I get when talking about my loved one! :cD I know how I hope your future plans turn out...good luck with all that! Chat soon!

Nae said...

Thanks for keeping it real, Lori! Brag letters are annoying to me as well. :-)

Heather said...

Oh how I love that you keep it real! You are awesome! This is a great idea...I don't have my card/letter done either....hmmmm.

La Mujer Loca said...

What a great card! Merry Christmas! I hope all of you are happy. It's soooo nice to hear about Kev's mission. And that Jo is driving--HOLY COW! You ARE ancient:)

Love you tons,
Steph Anderson