Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Fun With Muffin Tins

It's been a while since I did anything way crafty. I have a ton of projects waiting for my attention. I finished a couple up yesterday. This one I started in Idaho with my sisters. I found it here. I guess I should have used my brain looked at it closer. Maybe it would have saved me from cutting 2 1/4 inch strips of paper and then cursing the instruction for being wrong when my squares didn't fit over the holes. hhhmmmmm...Can you guess what I did? Yeah...it says to buy a muffin tin at the Wal-Mart. Did...the 12 hole one...duh!! I guess if you start counting at 1 there would be 24 days until Christmas...see....So what size of stupid dang muffin tin should you get....right....mini muffin pan with 24 holes. Right....So mine will be a little more complicated in that I will put up 24-13 first and then when they are opened I will put up 12-1. Works for me! I started with a lot of different papers that have been in my stash from Hob Lob when they have scrapbook paper 50% off. I cut all sizes of squares making sure I had at least 24 that were big enough to cover the holes.
That was really the most time consuming part of the whole thing.
I printed off some numbers in a cute font and then had it copied onto white card stock. It worked out really good that way. My sister has a 1 1/2" hole punch that was perfect to cut the numbers out. Then I tried to be random with the colors and everything. Due to my OCD I don't do random very well. I try...really I do. I think it will be OK.
I bought these sheets of magnets at the Wal-Mart. They were cheap. I used my fancy cutter handy kitchen shears to cut them to size. I only put one on the top. If you wanted a stronger hold (you know...for BIGGER treats) you could put a magnet on the bottom too.
I put them on the muffin tin to see how they looked...and I like it. I think it will work.
Here is the candy reveled. Not my personal favorite...but what did you expect? If I kept my favorite in the house it wouldn't be around long...if you catch my drift....
13-24 are just as cute. I did ink the edges with some chestnut colored ink. I thought it was an appropriate color choice....you know "Chestnuts roast on an open fire...." an all that jazz.
Gotta say...20 & 21 are killing me. What was the thought process there? Who knows. I did make a pink and green one too. It makes my heart go pitter pat. Wanna see.......
As I was putting the numbers on the muffin pan, it occurred to me that I must have been tired of the project by the time I got to the pink and green one. They are so less ornate. Too funny. No bling or ink and very little embellishment at all. Huh...well, I still love it.
The thing I like most about this kind of advent calendar is that it's totally customizable. Not only could you fill this baby with candy....you could put little slips of paper with quotes, or service opportunities....or clues to a treasure hunt. Marvelous!!


8 comments:

Kim said...

Pretty awesome! Kelsey is making your 'coaster' craft for her dance teachers, and others. One set done...5 to go. We had a hard time finding a warm spot to spray the acrylic spray...so Ed heated the garage with his kerosene heater...hmmm I wonder how much that cost?

Becca said...

so cute and that entire display is adorable! I love the trees!

Becca @ Blue Cricket Design

Charlene said...

what a great idea!! Is their a short cut to cutting all those squares? I would definitely need some friends to hang out with to cut all those out!!

Heather said...

I LOVE it!!! I linked you to my blog tonight...I'm sure you don't mind. ;)

Heather Henderson said...

pink + green ~ my favorite!!

Nae said...

I like this very much! I also love how you adapted and made what you bought work for you. Makin' some lemonade!! Very cute.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I love it! That entire display is darling!

Christine said...

So cute! I love it! And you could even do the 12 days of Christmas if you weren't organized like me...and needed to start late LOL :)