Owls...not usually my thing...not even really my Mom's thing. But she had a necklace that my Dad gave her as a gift early on in their marriage. It is a silver and onyx owl. I have seen it around my Mom's neck for as long as I can remember. Did she wear it constantly? No. Did she have jewelry she liked more? Yes. But this wise old bird just reminds me of her. So now what do I do?I buy owl stuff. Lots of it. Mostly at thrift shops and then I paint it....but even my new address book has owls on it.
Earlier this year my Dad gave each of us kids some money that my Mom had been saving to give us....sort of an inheritance, if you will. As far as inheritance sums go....it wasn't a huge chunk of change.....but it wasn't anything to sneeze at that is for sure. I have been saving some of each paycheck I get for subbing. Not a lot....but it has added up. I have been looking for something to spend it on. I thought maybe I'd put granite counter tops in my kitchen here. I had it all picked out. I was ready. But then the thought came to me.....if I move.....part of my Mom (not really but this was the thought...ok) will have to stay behind in this house. ((Remember....crazy)) The money belonged to my Mother....my Mom. How could I leave a part of her in this house in Minnesota. As irrational as that sounds here, out in the open, that was my line of thinking. That money came from my Mom.....I just couldn't spend it on granite. I decided that liposuction was my next option. But...I'm not quite at the fitness level I want to be at (you know....so it doesn't go to waste!!)....so that had to wait. Then it hit me. Braces. I have always wanted to have straight teeth. We didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up and my parents chose to get braces for the child who had the most jacked up teeth. Unfortunately, that child didn't continue to wear his retainer and thus his teeth didn't stay where they were supposed to. Oh well......My sister Kim and I have this one tooth that is crazy. Really, if the angle is right, most people can't see why we hate the smile thing so much. But on the inside....we can feel it and we don't like what it looks like in our minds. So I started the process a few weeks ago. I have a friend of a friend for my awesome orthodontist. She is brilliant, and kind, and just fabulous. She presented 2 treatment options. Plan one involves about 4 years worth of time. Seriously....I'm 37.....I have my man....I don't need to be in braces for 4 years. Plan two....much less invasive. Plan two should wrap up within 7 months....but she is shooting for closer to 5. I have clear brackets on my top teeth and they will be shaving a little off the sides of the

9 comments:
YAYAYAYAYA!! I am doing a Josie dance for you! I love it! I am tho thuper exthited for you! Please send me some great photos like Jo used to! That mom she is pretty fabulous, she paid for me to visit you and you to get braces! What a gal! :0)
holy moly batman!! That is cool!! You do look totally rufus!!! hahahahahahaha! so other than the teeth, we have VERY similar mouth shape!! AH, those genes, funny little things!!!! hahahahha!! Very much good job, ya!!!
love it!!!
Yeah for Mom's!!! You look totally rad. And, our Stake Presdient has braces, and he is a pretty cool Dude too!
You are awesome. I think that rocks. Good for you!!
Kim and Michelle make me laugh. Brutally honest in only the way sisters can be. I think you look fabulous, not rufus! And hurray for lucky day discounts. I love it!
I must be crazy too b/c those would also be my exact thoughts about leaving the granite and mom behind! Not crazy one bit!!!
I think you made a wise choice, your smile will remind you of your precious mama when you look in the mirror and ya know what...you'll have that fabulous smile FOREVER!!!
What a neat idea...you must have gone to Dr. Kelly :)
I need to take lessons from you, Lori and work harder at carefully weighing out the pros and cons before I plunge into a decision. I think the gift of a beautiful smile will make your mamma even more proud of you! I like your new brace-face!!
Oh Lori, isn't it funny how some things we don't like about ourselves others do! I remember your "crooked" tooth and I liked it. I never thought of it as a flaw, I think it gives you character. It's you. However, I do understand your desire to "fix-it" and that makes complete sense to spend your inheritance on something you can keep with YOU forever! What a great mom you have:)
Post a Comment