Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Day As a Lunch Lady

Well, just let me tell you this isn't quite what I had in mind when I signed up to be a sub. I was thinking that the offices in the district would be a good place to sub. Good hours, no nights or weekends, home with my kids. Well, last year I subbed for the lady who runs the computer and charges the kids for their lunches. It was a fine job, but three hours in the middle of the day was cramping my style. So this year I thought I'd just stick to strictly office work. Wweeellll, except the the kitchen staff knows me pretty well now, loud laugh...always early...funky sun glasses. So when they needed a sub who do you think was first on their list??? It wasn't too bad. I was in charge of stocking the a la cart line and washing the BIG pots and warming trays. In our school district ALL the food is cooked in the high school lunch room and the dishes are washed there too. Yuck. I washed a lot of dishes today. I think my quota is filled for the entire month. Sorry kids. I did get to see Jo and I said HI to her friends...while rocking the fancy hair net. She was so impressed. Well, I think I can cross that off my "What do I want to be when I grow up" list. Pretty sure I don't want to be a lunch lady. Well, maybe something will land in my lap tomorrow. Stranger things have happened.

8 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Do remember how we used to help at the school? We would serve or do dishes? I think our kids need a little of that action. They are too coddled.

Lori said...

Amen sista! I loved to help in the lunch room. We got to get out of class a bit early and have free lunch and I remember it being fun. These kids are too soft. My kids too could use a few shifts in the lunch room. Ah the good ol' days.

Nae said...

Dang - I was hopin' for a cool picture! Didn't Jo have her cell-phone with to capture the moment?? Don't even get me started with the too-soft-kid's stuff, especially since I had to walk 3 miles to school and it was uphill both ways! :-)

Unknown said...

My dream job! We talk about opening our own little "neighborhood school" and Sherri always beats me to the lunch lady job! I have to be the school counselor if we ever end up doing it! LOL!

Teresa said...

That was a blog that needed a picture!! The blogging world has been cheated. I hadn't heard about the Goodwin Thanksgiving bash. My Mom has been trying to get me to come early for Thanksgiving, now I am really tempted... Maybe I will go look at airfare...

Heather said...

I was waitin' for the picture too!!! I NEED to see you rockin' the fab hair net. And in front of Jo and her friends....that is just AWESOME! I love it!

Lori said...

Not to worry, fair maidens. I'm ure I'll be rocking the hair net in the not too distant future. I'll have the head cook, Becky,take a pic of me. Never fear.

La Mujer Loca said...

I wish you had a photo of you in that hair net. It'd be PRICELESS. hee hee.