Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Birthday Boy

My baby boy turns 19 today. In our church that is a pretty big deal for a young man. Why, you ask? Well, because when a young man turns 19 they are eligible to leave home for two years to serve the Lord. They are not required to do this. It's a choice they must make pretty early on in their lives. Not just anyone can go. Those who wish to go must have kept themselves morally clean, they need to be in the habit of obeying the word of wisdom (no alcohol, no tobacco, no drugs, no tea or coffee) and they must be willing to leave their families and pay their way for two years while they allow the Lord to mold them into the men they are supposed to be.
When Kevin was one year old we never would have guessed that the path we were on would lead us here. The choices Kevin has made through his whole life have kept him on that path. He has always been a really good kid. For the most part he has made really good choices. But he really wasn't sure a mission was in his future. It is a big commitment. We wanted to be sure Kev was making this decision because it was something he wanted to do....not something he was doing because it was expected. While I have been talking with Kevin this week, he has reassured several times that this is something he is doing because he wants to.
Kevin has always loved being with his family. If there was a family party or a trip to visit a distant relative, Kevin was so there. He just loves anything to do with family. Leaving for two years is a sacrifice for him in many ways, but the biggest for him, will be missing out on all the family activities that he loves.
We will write to him, of course....e-mail and snail mail. We can talk to him on Christmas and Mother's Day. He will be protected and watched out for (my Mom will be able to watch over him as his personal guardian angel)....but he will be without his family for the most part.
Of course you all know how I feel about my kids. You may not know that I was very young when I had Kevin. I do feel like he was sent to me to give me something positive to focus on. He was my angel. We have grown up together....sometimes I have wondered who is the parent and who is the child. This boy with the smile that lights up even my dreariest days has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion. I'm not saying that our relationship hasn't had it's fair share of bumps. We have had some epic battles. But one thing I love about Kevin is that he doesn't hold a grudge. He probably won't even remember what we fought about 2 days later. He just lets it go.
Watching him grow into a thoughtful, sensitive, strong young man has been such a gift. He is talented and funny. He is kind and generous. He is so fabulous that I can hardly wait to see how much more fantastic he will become.
I love the tender hearted little boy that my Heavenly Father trusted me with 19 years ago. I can not imagine my life without him in it. Forever he will be my friend and I will be there to cheer him on through whatever life throws at him. He is a gift. He is 19.
Happy Birthday, my little man. I love you more than words can say and I am so proud to be your Mama.

9 comments:

Nae said...

Tissue... I need tissue! What a beautiful tribute, Lori. You do have a very special son.

Happy, Happy Birthday, Kevin!!

the mom~ said...

*sniff sniff* Happy *wipng tears* Birthday *WAHHHH* Kkkkevin.
That's all I can sayyyy.

Charlene said...

Happy Birthday Kevin!!! We love you guys!! You all are great examples to us, and this post was a perfect example of it!!

Heather said...

You really do need to put a *tissues needed* disclaimer on the beginning of posts like this! Beautiful! Happy Birthday Special K!!! Have a great day!

Teresa said...

Happy Birthday Kev! Will you be taking him to Utah Lori? I will be there the week before he goes to the MTC...

Kim said...

He is a great kid. I remember when we first met Jim...before you came along...he was telling us about the kids and basically said 'Kevin is a really good kid". I always say it goes back to the parents and how they are raised. Good job!

Cindy said...

awwww :)

Kim said...

I am so sad! That's all I have to say about that!

Rochelleht said...

SOOOO sweet!! I am really hoping he's in my ward so I can show him all sorts of pictures of his mom when she was young. ;-)

Oh, and I sure thought of you this week when Christine texted me to tell me about MJ. Throwback to 6th grade.

Also: saw Rulon Robinson at a restaurant last week. He had to tell me his name. I totally didn't recognize him. I was embarrassed, but he said it took him 10 whole minutes before he could think of mine to call me. So, as I haven't changed much, I felt better...