When we moved to this town 2 years ago....2 years ago today actually. We had so many first impressions. There were our new neighbors. Most were very friendly to Jim....since he moved in to the house 2 weeks before us. But when the kids and I got here we didn't really see all the love that Jim was talking about. A little later in the summer the people next door did come over (the adults anyway, they do have a daughter a year older than Jo and a son the same age as Kev) to see if we were settled in and had everything we needed.
Our first impression of our little Branch was....well interesting. I didn't really know what to expect....but what I found made me cry the whole way home. It just was SO far outside of my comfort zone. There were some bright spots. Katrinka gave a beautiful lesson (with some visual demonstrations from one of the sisters....didn't love that part). I got to meet Heather and Charlene. I was relieved that they both lived in my town. I definitely needed that support system. My first impression of them was....they're so...normal!! And of course my first impression of John wasn't anything like I expceted. Jim had talked about him and the conversations they would have while driving to church. huh...Not even close to the man I pictured in my head. hehehehe
My first impression of the town was favorable. It is small but it has a lot going for it. I do long for more dining options that don't have a drive-up window. And maybe a retail store that doesn't have a blue light special or a giant yellow smilie face lurking around every corner. For the most part it is a clean, safe, church-filled community that has beautiful tree lined streets and rolling hills.
After a while I was invited to a GNO (not that I really knew what that was....I was just so excited for the invite that it could have been anything and I was in). Heather, her sister Salena and their friend Renae were going to the big city for dinner (maybe a movie too...I don't recall). It was so much fun. My first impression of the group was....man, I hope they like me. These girls are so much fun. They are witty and smart and have a genuine love and concern for each other. Talk about peer pressure. I would have jumped of a cliff that night if that is what they all were doing. hehehehe On a side note....my Dad always asked why I did the stupid things I did with my friends. Then the obvious question would arise....if they jumped off a cliff would you?? Of course I would. They're my friends. duh.
Reading some of the early entries in my "Thankful Journal" that my pal, Jackie, gave me is funny. I tried to be so positive and upbeat, but there is such and under current of sadness. I was so homesick...but I didn't want my kids to pick up on that too much so I plastered a big dorky smile on my face and tried not to think about the 1000 miles that separated me from the other part of my family....the other part of my heart.
So many first impressions. So many of them have changed....evolved into something better...as first impressions usually do. I have realized so many ways my family has been blessed by moving here. It's not been entirely fabulous....but then neither was Idaho.
We've Moved!
1 year ago

7 comments:
Isn't that the way all of life is? Nothing is ideal, but if we look at the good, we can find all sorts of happiness. So glad you've found your niche!
Happy two year anniversary! I quickly said "Yes" when Heather asked if it was ok to have you come along to Fargo for dinner and a movie. I distinctly remember what it felt like not to know anyone in a new town. I was in that boat 7 years ago. My first impression of you on our GNO night was that you fit right in and I liked you right away. You were very open and genuine with sharing your feelings and your laughter came easily. Humor is one of my most favorite qualities in others. Wasn't the movie we went to that night "Evening"? It really does seem like we have been friends for longer than 2 years! I'm so glad to have met you and thank you for taking a risk in coming with us that night!
Oh boy can I relate to what you are saying! Gratitude is definitely what gets us through - even if for awhile it is mixed with sadness! I would have missed out on some of my greatest friends if not for this move to Montana :) Love ya Lori!
Ahhhhh...and we are SOOO glad you are here! What a blessing you have been in all of our lives! Love you Lori Reader!!!
I am glad that you have found a good group of friends....still trying for that! Life is so much better when you have your gals! Good for you in finding the positive!
I people here have been blessed by you moving here :)
"It's not been entirely fabulous...but then again, neither was Idaho." I love it! A great reminder that even the place you love and are comfortable isn't exactly perfect.
Post a Comment