Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pie Pie Me Oh My

When I was a kid we used to have the most wonderful Thanksgiving dinners with my Mom's side of the family. She has 3 sisters and 1 brother and most of them have big families. We would get together at Grandma's and everyone would bring food and we would play games with all our cousins. It was heaven on earth. My favorite part of the day was the pies that Grandma would make. The best part of Grandma's pie was the pie crust cookies. Since it's a bad idea to re-roll the crust, she would put the trimmings on a pan and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar. They would come out of the oven golden and crispy and so sweet.
They went really fast since there was always a crowd in the kitchen...especially when Grandma was cooking. Today I was kinda missing my Grandma. The quickest way for me to feel closer to my Grandma is to pull out one of her recipes and cook up a storm. Usually I make a pie, and of course...pie crust cookies. I use the apple pie filling that I have canned (using on of her recipes) and it usually turns out just like Grandma used to make. Today I was not so lucky. The crust completely fell apart. I was so ticked. So as I stood, yelling at the pie, my (oh so understanding) husband told me to just throw it on the top. Or better yet, throw it away and just go topless (his joke...not mine). Of course I am my mother's daughter and just a touch stubborn. I tried to piece it together to look somewhat acceptable. I threw some sugar and cinnamon on the top and here is what I got. Not going to win any beauty contests but it tasted fabulous. All thanks to Grandma.

8 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Uh, pie? Yeah, you are quite the little Suzy-homemaker, girl. VERY impressive!

Charlene said...

my kids would love you to be their mom! Pie on a rainy Sunday afternoon sounds like a great idea!

the mom~ said...

YUM!!! Those cookie things looks amazing!

Nae said...

"... I love pie!" That pie looks yummy. My Gramma Ruth did the same thing with the left over pie crust too! Also, I would call your act of saving the pie crust "resourceful" not "stubborn."

Teresa said...

I LOVE those! I will give you my address and next time you make them you can send some my way, k? :cP

Heather said...

I think your pie still looked fabulous and it smelled heavenly. Next time we drop in on you when you have a freshly baked pie we'll be sure to stay longer ;)
See you tomorrow.

La Mujer Loca said...

DELISH! My mom made those too and I make them for my kiddos. Ahhh, the memories.

cd said...

FEDEX crusts to AZ please! Why are all of my friends so talented and I'm inept!!!! Your kids are lucky to have such a sweet mom!