Wednesday, December 3, 2008

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things

Were you able to read that without singing? Me either. I know you've all heard about my undying affection for my family and friends...but I wanted to get a little materialistic today. I love the people in my life and I feel so overabundantly (is that actually a word) blessed that it almost feels wrong somehow to praise the "things" in my life. But...that's what I feel like doing today...and since I never get to do what I want...here we go. An ode to shoes; Oh my shoes, I love you so...you always make me smile. I wish that you were comfy...Then I could walk miles and miles. (sing it to "Mother Dear I Love You So" it works better that way) It's true I LOVE shoes. Trivial and materialistic? Definitely...but oh they are fabulous and some day I will own a pair of Jimmy Choo's. ( This is just a sampling of the many pairs I love)Then of course there is the majestic handbag. Where would we be without its simple elegance, it's understated ability to carry our lives around in its zippered compartments? I feel guilty when I've used one for too long. I can feel the hurt and rejection from the others when they don't get their turn to compliment an outfit or make an appearance at a GNO. It's hurtful to neglect your purses...give them all a fair turn. I've even considered carrying more than one bag to ease the tension in my closet. It's tricky dealing with a herd this big. I have to be careful...they might rise up in rebellion. I'm just lucky they haven't formed a union...yet. Frosty the Snowman was alive as he could be....yes, I do love a good snowman. Funny though, I am selective in my collecting. Jim would tell you that I never turn any snowman away that wants to join my collection...but that's just not true. I only take the ones that are jolly and carrot nosed and a bit countrified. (you know you love it when I make up words this early in the morning) I wish I had the guts to leave them up all year. Someday I will...just a warning.

It may sound funny but my Darla is definitely in the top five of my favorites list. She is soft and snugly and she makes the most fantastic sounds. Yes...quiet really isn't her thing. When she get excited she gasps, when she's sleeping she snores, and when she's just breathing she gurgles. I just love her. Oh and she LOVES to sleep and hates to be bothered while she's napping. My kind of girl. Everyone needs a Darla. So now you know a few more of my favorite things...you know other than family and friends and Christmas and pizza and indoor plumbing and the Internet and fingernails. Now you know.

9 comments:

Kim said...

5:07 a.m.! You crazy girl! You posted this quite early. You are right family and friends are important but we still need our favorite things--Kayla skated a solo to this song a few years ago--so of course when I read it I wanted to sing it. Mine are a book, PJs, slippers, shoes are always very important--I just talked to my mom about this yesterday--why do we have so many? I always just have one favorite purse and use it until it wears out then fine another one--now I know where to go if I need one to match an outfit. LOL. Have a good one.

Grandma Rozla said...

I am SO with you on the shoes and bags (the reason I started making my own bags). I'm getting started on the snowman thing and well the dog - mine hold a place deep in the memories in my heart! Have a happy day!

Love ya,
Rozla

Rebecca Talley said...

Love shoes! I have turquoise, lavender, hot pink and yellow pairs of shoes. I say you need shoes for every outfit!

That dog is hilarious--totally cuddly.

We also have a snowman collection, except they're all made out of socks (by my kids).

Fun post.

Charlene said...

I love your shoe fettish. I have to show Roger your collection. He always complains why I need another pair of brown shoe...this coming from someone who owns 3 pairs of brown shoes!

Rochelleht said...

Yes, fingernails. Those are good...

Nae said...

I love your collections! It gives just another little glimpse about you that I didn't know before. BTW, I think I need to have a few of your adorable snowpeople! A few of my materialist favorite collections... lipsticks (I consider chapsticks and lip glosses in that category) & boyd's bearstone collectables (love the details and the quotes on the bottom).

Unknown said...

That is sooo funny! Your closet looks a lot like mine! Especially the purses! I LOVE snowmen also and can't stand walking into a store without checking out all the snowmen available...funny that we share those interests!

the mom~ said...

Awwww...I love your "can't live withouts!" I like snowmen too but I dont care if they have a carrot nose or not...I just love them all together :)

Anonymous said...

You make my day sister!I wonder where I get all my favorite things from! HEHEHE! Matt flipped when he saw all my purses when we moved! SOme still with tags! I do need to be better about changing them out though! They are all crying from the shelf! I can hear them now! I love ya!