Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Never Thought.....

I never thought I would be so proud of my kids...but I am. I never thought I would miss so many of the little things that Kevin used to do for me...but I do. I never thought being some one's Mama was such a central part of my being...but it is. I never thought dancing in the kitchen with my teenage son would be something I would long to do....but I do long for it. Mostly I miss his bright 100 watt smile and his quirky sense of humor and they way he can make me relax about the little things that tend to upset me. I don't miss the funky smell emanating from his room. I don't miss the arguments I'd end up in the middle of. I don't miss the car being out of gas....a lot. But I miss being able to talk about the day with him. I miss the details of his life. I am missing out on so many things by not being able to quiz him about it all. He is a terrible letter writer...just to let you all know. He glosses over the events of the day with the skilled hand of a master painter. But, oh...to see his smile or hear his laugh and all would be erased. I know it probably seems a tad dramatic to most of you. He's only in Texas. I get letters or an e-mail about twice a week. I've seen a picture. But to have him near me. Sitting on the couch laughing at our favorite Phineas and Ferb episodes. That seems like heaven to me right now. I miss him. I miss him more than I really thought possible. Usually I can keep busy and go paint something....but on Sunday's when we try to slow down and honor the sabbath day...that's when I notice it the most. The quiet. Then the ache creeps back in....renewed, revived. It's a lot like the way I miss my Mom. I miss her just being there for everyday things. I miss her laugh and her warm gracious way of just being. I miss the way she loved her grandkids. She loved her kids with the same kind of need...the same longing for the details of their lives....never judging....never critical....just wanting to be there. To be involved in the every day miracles was enough for her. I guess that is really what I am missing with Kev. The every day stuff that I took for granted or marked as completely annoying or unimportant. To you, the Mama's of those precious sons...pay attention. Make note of the little things. The things you will miss the most when they grow up and become the men you always knew they could be....the little stuff. And really...isn't it all little stuff??

9 comments:

the mom~ said...

:(
Although it makes me sad to see you going through this I am glad I can learn from you and Kev, you are helping to prepare me for my boys. Love ya girl!

Grandma Rozla said...

My heart is right there along with ya baby! Keep smiling!

Heather said...

*sniff* You are really good at making me cry. I am so sorry you are missing Kevin so very much. You should borrow Ethan Ness sometime....that kid NEVER stops talking....lol. I'm sure Salena would be happy to lend him out every now and then. I'll even bet you could get him to dance in the kitchen with you.

Jackie said...

You need to post a warning sign--tissues needed. I am sorry you are missing him so much. But I am thankful for the prep. you are giving me--THANKS!!!

Kim said...

I just want to grab a kleenix and cry...it's sad when they are gone...and it is the little stuff...they grow up way to fast.

Teresa said...

:c( Sorry times are tough for you right now! I think you need to take a vacation! Come visit me! I am right next to Texas and then you would be CLOSER to Kev! In a few years you will look back and think, "man! Those 2 yrs went fast!"...I know it doesn't seem like it now, but this too shall pass! Big hug!

Kim said...

Gosh why do we go through these things on the same days! AHHHH still conected at the heart aren't we! The other day I stood in front of the closet in the spare bedroom and had nothing to wear...I thought to myself ah it's ok I will just borrow something from Mom, then it hit me all again! I know just what you mean about the small stuff! I love ya and wish I was there with you!

Charlene said...

I agree with Jackie, a warning sign is needed. I do need to remember the little things and not take them for granted. They do grow up too quickly and then they are gone....(big sigh) Where's my mint chocolate chip ice cream?

Nae said...

I am sorry for the emptiness that you are feeling, dear Lori. Thank you for reminding me to appreciate what I have while I have it, for too soon my life will change too.