Thursday, August 27, 2009

Meet Juno and Bleeker

So much to my chagrin....I have given in to the relentless attacks by my soon-to-be 16 year old daughter. For 2 years she has begged and pleaded for a turtle. No way! Was always the response. No turtle. Well, yesterday, she changed her tactics. She asked for gold fish. Again....ick...no way. But, alas, my head was so cloudy on allergy meds that I said....go ask your Dad. Big mistake. Huge. I have to go shopping now (name that movie). Anyhoo....of course Dad said, "I don't care". Oh, man!! Ick and gross. A fish? Really?? Aren't 2 fluffy, stinky dogs enough? Apparently not as then I was herded into the car. The fish selection at our Wal-mart has dwindled down to almost nothing. They aren't re-stocking them until the construction is finished. Jo was not to be deterred. The oh-so-helpful lady at the Wal-Mart asked Jo which fish she wanted. I snarkily replied that we wanted the one that wouldn't die tomorrow. HA! Yeah right! We got the gravel and the plastic plant thingies and the fish and the food and headed to the check out. My head felt as if it was stuffed with cotton. I really could hardly think straight. We had picked out a tank....but had either one of us bothered to pick it up?? Of course not. So I headed back in the store (yes, we were at the car by then) to pick up one last thing.....yeah....right. So we made it home and started to assemble everything. I got too frustrated to even read the simple directions and went to sit on the couch. What the lady at the Wal-Mart didn't tell us was really it's best to get all the stuff and set it up and let it run for a day or two and then buy the fish. Yeah...that's what the directions say. Bummer.So, back to the Wal-Mart because tap water is a no no. We needed either purified water or water treatment stuff. Crap. I just wanted to sit and enjoy the fuzzy corners of my mind. When we got back I read through the directions again and told Jo that after it was up and running for a while to acclamate the fish to it and dump the little trout in. I was tired of messing around. It made me sad to think of them stuffed inside that little bag. Not fun. So, yes, I am a push over. I don't mean to be...but I guess if you catch me at the right moment...I'll cave to almost anything.I find Bleeker a little creepy. I think he is staring at me.....ick....

6 comments:

Christy said...

both movies referenced here are among my very favorites!

Pretty Woman for the quote and Juno for the names of the cute little fish. They are only cute - because they are at your house and not mine :) ha ha!

Nae said...

Name that movie? Pretty Woman. Of course, the names Juno and Bleeker came directly from the fab couple in the movie Juno. Sorry to hear you have a cotton head. I recommend not opening the windows at night and just let the air conditioner filter out what it can.

The nice thing about fish... you don't have to pay to kennel them when you leave town for a weekend!

Teresa said...

You crack me up! We have had a few fish. But, none of them could stay any where near the kitchen (they were in a little portable bowl). They make me ill when I try to eat. Which, I guess really is a good diet tactic for me. So I get where you are coming from!

the mom~ said...

ick is right.

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, you are hilarious! This is great. And you can imagine my relief when I read the title of your blog post and clicked on it to see photos of fish and not Jo and Reed. 'Bout made me crap my pants.

Kim said...

Yah, that's what we get when we tell them to ask dad!