Now that Kevin is in Texas, Thursdays are his P-day. He is allowed a small amount of time on the computer to e-mail his Mama. I find that on Thursday I am very distracted and constantly checking my mail. I am trying to stay busy....but it is hard. It's also 18 months (tomorrow) since my Mom died. It has been gnawing a hole in the box that I keep the painful memories in. They are escaping from that safe place in my head where I keep them so I'm not caught off guard by a tidal wave of emotion. This week I have been tearing up with no apparent provocation. The other morning an older gentleman stopped to chat with Heather and I while we were loitering on the sidewalk after class. He was talking about how he was trying to stay busy. He had lost his wife recently (cue the tears). Oh, man. His lip quivered and I almost lost it. I am getting pretty good about not becoming an emotional pile of mush on a daily basis....but around certain anniversaries or holidays I am still a wreck. So if you notice it...sorry...just pretend I'm normal. I'm trying to pretend the same thing.
On a more cheerful note, Jo went to girls camp last week. It was different that the camps she (and I) have been to in the past. This was an encampment. Not sure why...really. It was held on a college campus in SD. There were girls there from MN, ND, SD, OH, MT, WY and maybe one more...but I don't really remember. They stayed in the dorms and met girls from all over the church. They had classes and played games and made quilts (for a service project).

They were treated to a concert from Kenneth Cope....which, I might add....Jo LOVED!!!

She got to meet him and everything. The highlight of the trip (according to Jo) was meeting Sister Elaine Dalton, the General Young Women President.

WOW!! Jo said she was just full of light. She met all the girls and spoke to them and hugged them all. Jo said she could just feel the Spirit rolling off her. Jo was reluctant (to say the least) to go to this encampment. It really ruffled her feathers. But she went, promising not to have a bad attitude the whole time. True to her word, she tried to relax....and she did. I haven't seen this smile on her face for a long time. I am so thankful she went and I am thankful for her YW leader, Charlene.

Char has been exactly what my Jo has needed. I owe her a HUGE debt of gratitude.
I have also been redoing some of my tired wall groupings. I have had the same things on the walls of my house for 15 years.

I love lurking on other peoples blogs to see how they are decorating. You'd be surprised at some of the things that seem to be coming back. Do you remember those GIANT fork and spoon sets? They are all over Blogland. I found 2 sets at Good Will yesterday. I let them stay there. I just can't wrap my brain around that yet. I did go shopping around my own house and came up with some new things to group together. I am still waiting for a big letter R for the empty frame.

I got that frame and the shelf and the lamb at GW (yes, Lana....I am the GW queen). With a little paint and some scrapbook paper they got a fabulous new home. I made or had everything else in my craftroom (aka craproom).I think it looks pretty good. I will like it even more when that stupid R gets here. I have so many more projects in various stages of completion. Some are gifts...some are not (sorry honey). I'll show you more before and after shots when they are done. I am in need of a craftroom on the main floor of my house. My poor diningroom table becomes my work area. Someday....right??
7 comments:
Oh my gosh, that encampment is SOOOO cool!! WOW! Our girls got to hear from Sis. Dalton this summer, too. I was SO bummed to be here in Utah for that. I hear it was wonderful. She is really something. She's like Ardith Kapp was to us back in the day.
I love it! I love it! I love it! Can you come to my home and help me with my big wall???
By the way, you are sweet, but my YW make my job so easy thanks to their moms for raising them so well!!!
:)
You are being so industrious that you will have all your Christmas gifts done before October! You are very inspiring. Glad to hear that encampment was such a positive experience for Jo. Love the new wall arrangement especially the little keys hanging from the shelf - very cute. Sending you extra {HUGS} on this 18 month milestone day today.
I know just what you mean about feeling like you need to sit by the computer on p-days. I still (three months later) find myself checking my email really often on Wednesdays. You are so creative and do so many fun things, can you come help me?
Jo looks great in those photos~ I sure love that kid! Your a decorating fool these days GOOD JOB!
Post a Comment