The last 4 weeks of my life have been the most emotional since 2/14/08. I have had tremendous highs and heart breaking lows. Today in the space of 6 minutes I've had both. The phone rang...not completely unusual. I looked at the caller ID....huh...a Utah number. I knew Kev was flying out to Texas today.....did I dare to hope?? I picked it up. An almost familiar...yet just a bit different...voice exclaimed "MOM!!" I almost fell of my chair. I was so excited to hear that again. My emotions took me through the roof. Turtle Balm to this Mom's soul. "Hey, Bud!!" Was all I could squeak out. Then I pulled it together knowing that he didn't have much time. He asked me about the new 4-wheeler and he told me how much he missed the dogs. He has lost 15 pounds and has already worn through one pair of suit pants. We laughed at some things he's seen and he told me he misses me just a little. Then the pay phone chimed in and he needed to go. I told him that I love him and I would talk......."I love you, Mom." Click. My heart went from the highest heights to a crash landing on my unswept kitchen floor. I guess habit takes over. I'll talk to you later just seems like the right thing....but later means December. On the bright side, I got to talk to my son for the first time in 20 days today. He is doing better than I could have imagined.....better than I could have hoped for. So why am I weeping in a puddle of broken heart? Maybe I'm just not ready to let go of him. When he left 20 days ago I knew he would never really be mine again. His heart now belongs to the Lord and serving Him. And when he comes back....he will find some pretty young thing who will claim his heart forever. While I welcome this for him...I guess I still need time to get used to the idea. Oh, how I love this child of mine. And miss him.....
9 comments:
Even though he will be missed, he's a good boy and he'll do great out in the mission field. Happy that he's safe and well sad that you can't talk to him. The next 5 months will be faster than you think.
So strange, I went through your emotions too when I read this! OH YEAH A CALL....oh no an ending to the call! Gosh I am glad he got to call you! He is doing great! Your doing great, all will be well! Oh yeah, 15 lbs really? Do we need to go on a mission too?
Yeah for phone calls!!!
(to Kim:)I think only a mission to Ethiopia will make us lose 15lbs in 20 days! hahahahaha!!!
Lori, that was great to hear that you got a phone call from Kev!!! He is such a good boy!! I am so glad that he is doing well!!
Oh, I'm so glad you got to talk to him. I'm sure you are so proud of him!! Can't wait to hear where he is.
BTW: I saw Ann Cherie Goodwin and Tiffany Birch at Education Week this weekend. Kinda crazy.
what a wonderful surprise for you! He is an awesome missionary already doing what he's suppose to do!!
Wow...how do you do it Lori? I will need lessons in about 13 years...my heart hurts for you and is also so happy for you!
And 15 lbs, WTG Kev...I told him he would drop some as soon as he left his mama's home cooked meals...poor kid. LOL
Love ya LBR!!!
you always see missionaries on the phone when you're in salt lake. but i never really thought about who was on the other end of the line until i read this.
What an unexpected surprise! So glad his call didn't have to roll to vm!! I am elated that Kev is doing so well and can empathize with the emotional ups and downs that you are experiencing. Hang in there!
Post a Comment