Monday, August 10, 2009

Self Esteem

I think I might be a little goofy from all the spray paint fumes today....but I was thinking. I tend to do that while I paint....think...that is. My brain uses that time to mull over various topics until I am ready to share them with someone....hopefully with enough mulling, they will make sense. So I was thinking about a conversation Heather and I had while standing around after class the other morning. ((side note)) We do that a lot. We'll stand outside our exercise class and chat and watch the next class go in for their morning dose of torture {love ya Natalie!}. Sometimes we are even there when that class comes out!! Talk about embarrassing. We watch the old men wander into the cafe for their morning coffee club, too. We've endured the comments on our sedentary state...and kept on gabbing. ((back to my ramblings....)) So on one such morning we were talking about the way we (as women) see ourselves. I see my friends (I'm including my sisters in this column today, because they are my closest friends!) as fabulous, brave, stunning women. Yet listening to them talk....they see themselves as less than all that. I'm sure I am guilty of the same thing. I have a friend who is a FABULOUS Mom and a great listener. I have a friend who never backs down from any challenge in her life....you won't catch her hiding in a food lined cave. And another of my peeps is a wonderful decorator with a creative soul and a runners body. And still these women see themselves as less than fabulous!! Who knows why we discount ourselves and the talents and attributes we bring into every situation. Who knows why we judge ourselves so harshly, instead of seeing ourselves as our friends see us. What would happen in our lives if we took a step back and looked at ourselves as our friends do, as our kids do, as our Moms do, as our spouses do? Who would we see? Would we see the petty little flaws that seem huge and unending to us....or would we see the the beauty and compassion, the unending potential and the near perfection? Would we be nicer to ourselves....more forgiving? For the rest of the day....and tomorrow if I can swing it....I am going to try to see myself as my friends see me. I will try to see myself through the eyes of my kids. I will try to see the potential my Mom swore she saw. I will try to see that person that Jim sees when he looks at me. Maybe I'll learn to not be so hard on myself....we could all use a little of that. Maybe it will motivate me to be a nicer person in general.....maybe.

9 comments:

Kim said...

So that's what I see you two doing every M-W-F on my way to work...pondering life. You are so, so right...why don't we see ourselves like others do? We really need to change that....I think it's a work in progress for women.

Teresa said...

I am glad that those paint fumes are doing good to your brain! When left to my thoughts I usually think about my in-laws and just get myself all worked up and mad!! So, good for you! You do need to see what a wonderful gal you are! You are funny, cute, stylish, and cool! I am so glad that you are my cuz!

Grandma Rozla said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. You are wonderful Lori and I think I'll try to be a little kinder to myself as well!

Heather said...

Okay, so if you are going to see yourself as I see you then the first thing you need to do is look in the mirror and tell yourself what fabulous hair you have. No matter if you've done it or not. I have NEVER seen you have a bad hair day!!! I LOVE your hair. Next smile at yourself and instead of seeing imperfection(which I DID NOT notice in the 2+ years of our friendship UNTIL you pointed it out) see the way the room lights up around you. Then walk through your house and see all the wonderful decor that is there becuase you DO NOT procrastinate....instead you get stuff done. I don't know why we sell ourselves short as women, but I do know that I have some of the most fabulous friends to act as cheerleaders and to help me see the good. Thank you.

Nae said...

This sounds like a fabUlous plan! You ARE compassionate, insightful, hilarious, creative and so much more. Most important of all you are just a heck of a lot of fun to be around!

the mom~ said...

I love your smile :) but the 2 things I love the most about you is...the love you have for your family and your compassion and dedication to your job(Shelby). You are one heck of a woman and I'm blessed to call you my friend!!!
-oh nad your shoe and purse collection rock too.

Kim said...

Wow, ummm I am at a loss for words right now...strange I know! That is a very good question why is it that we tend to be so hard on ourselves and only see the things we are not doing right??? Hmm I will ponder this today. Let me tell you how I see you. BRAVE, STRONG, SMART, FABULOUS, CARING, BEAUTIFULL, NICE, LOVING, oh heavens I could go on and on and on! I Love you and think your the best!

Jackie said...

While reading your post it reminded me of a gift given to me in West Jordan. It is a black and white photo of Christ and at the bottom it reads "the greatest gift I could give you is, for you to see yourself as I see you."
Lori not only do we your friends see a loving mom and wife I might add, great cheerleader, amazing listener, wonderful decorator and a spirit that many long for, you have so many great qualities I can't even list them all. More importantly our Heavenly Father see's all this and so much more. We and He loves you so very much. I really hope you can see even just a glimps of what he see's in you.
By the way I'm with Heather--when was the last time you had a bad hair day--I can't remember one. No no not your idea of a bad hair day--I mean a REALLY BAD hair day.
Thanks for the thought, we could all look at ourselves differently.
Love ya.

msorensen said...

that was a little too deep for me!! hahahahahaha!! just kidding!! You Rock!! I hope you know that!!! I so miss you!! When are you moving back closer to me??? You are stronger and smarter than you give yourself credit for! Remember that and know that you are loved!!!