Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Transformation Tuesday

(Yes, I do realize that it is Wednesday. I started this on Tuesday and so the title stands.)

I have a lot of projects going on right now. My laundry room is almost finished. I have a frame project that is in the planning stages. I found some foam letters at Micheal's on sale for 75% off. I am wondering...can you spray paint foam letters? Well, we're sure to find out!! Today (along with the laundry room) I have been working on the red frames in the dinning room. I bought these frames at a yard sale at the beginning of the summer. They are the first things I spray painted. I didn't have a project in mind when I bought them. I just knew they were cheap and had a fun detail on the edge and that they were ugly. Right up my alley!! I tore out the ugly pic that had taken up residence (sorry, no pictures) and I painted them black. I hung them in the dinning room...but I just wasn't feeling it. So, they came down and we tried again. This time I used my favorite red.Oh, how I love this color!! I rehung them and....aaahhhhh....magic. They have been sitting empty for a while. While I like them, they were really in need of a photo to embrace. Then I remembered the 10x10 scrapbook pages I'd seen on Scraping Simply's site. I checked it out and I was able to find something that would work really well. But, alas, the frames were too big. Yep. 11x11 frame in a world full of 10x10 layouts. Bummer. What is a girl to do....? Well, let's see. I could take a fabulous sheet of scrapbook paper (bought on sale at HL) and make a mat. hhhmmmm Sure. I did save the glass and the backing from the original occupant of the frame. I might be able to swing it.....maybe. I turned the paper over and traced the glass.After I cut it out I traced the page I wanted to frame....but then...I used the scrap from my first cut and used it as a guide to make another mark. Why? You ask...simple. It is just wasteful to use an entire sheet of paper when you'll only be seeing the outer inch.So I cut out the middle leaving enough of an edge to secure the page to. Now I can use this square and the strips from the first cut in another project. Cool.Anyhoo...then I grabbed my double stick tape. I have commitment issues and if I don't like the way it turns out I can change it.So I taped it in a couple of places, cleaned both sides of the glass and reassembled the frame. So here it is....or I guess here they are.I do like them...for now. Maybe they'll stay this way...maybe not. Easy cheesy....right? Right! So next time you are in Good Will or the D.I. or at a yard sale....look around. Maybe your next project is there waiting for you.

8 comments:

Kim said...

I REALLY like the red...it really adds to the wall. Good job!

the mom~ said...

RED makes me smile! :)

Jackie said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Nae said...

Ya done good, my creative and colorful friend!

andreyandjami said...

Looks great! Look at you go with all your projects. I feel the same way, I have so much stuff going on right now. I hope eventually they will all come together!

Heather said...

I just love your projects, they turn out fabulous and more importantly....you actually get them done! Good job!

Jenny said...

Okay Lori you go girl I love it. This is how I have decorated most all of my house. Okay really you have never spray painted before??? I spray paint everything!! the people at walmart probabley think I get high off the stuff cause I buy it all the time, I spray paint anything and everything I get second hand or new? Don't like it it's a cheap and easy fix with a new color!! Well maybe I do like the smell of it too!!! Shsh don't tell.

Caro said...

What a gorgeous colour! I don't have any red in my house, but now I kinda wish I did!
Great job!!